Monday, December 22, 2014

The Color Red

For people who know a little bit about color theory, red and green are opposites on the color wheel. This means they complement each other, which means they each bring out the best in the other. Kind of like cake and ice cream. They can stand alone just fine but together, they're even better. 

Years ago I went through a "berries" phase. It was an offshoot of my "winter interest" phase. I looked for and purchased a bunch of different red-berried plants. Here they are in all their winter glory.  

But first: 
Despite a light frost, my Chenille Plant (Acalypha pendula) is still alive. 

Cotoneaster dammeri my quasi-bonsai. 

Heavenly Bamboo or Nandina domestica 

Acuba japonica 

Cotoneaster lacteus almost didn't survive last winter's cold but it bounced back beautifully.
I have it situated where I can see it from the dining room. 



I found this Skimmia japonica  'Alba' growing in a church yard. I snipped off several pieces and one rooted!

Skimmia japonica  'Alba' I think it has spider mites but oh well. 

Skimmia japonica already has buds for spring's flowers. 
Aronia arbutifolia 'Brilliantissima' is a favorite of the robins. 

A closer look at the Aronia berries. 
And finally, NOID -- This plant is growing (and glowing) near my daughter's house. 
 Wishing you all a glowing Christmas. 

13 comments:

  1. Very pretty! Very Christmasy. I've noticed how really difficult it is to clash any colors when Mother Nature is involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely red & greens in your gardens.

    Have a love, peace and joy filled Christmas and a wonderful 2015.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect Christmas post. happy Holidays to you and yours, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved all your red berry bushes! You are so lucky to grow so many different varieties. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow my birds would love your berry ladened garden! Merry Christmas Grace!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful Grace. And I learned about some new plants. Thank you. May your heart and home be full of happiness! Merry Christmas. Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a big fan of winter interest. All your berries are so festive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do have a berry collection! They're a great addition to the garden, and especially welcome this time of year when they make not only us but also the birds happy. Best wishes for a merry Christmas Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have some beautiful Cotoneasters! It's one of my favorite plants, and I have one on the front path near the front entrance to the house. Mine is C. horizontalis. Its foliage changes color and then drops here in this climate, but the berries remain until the birds eat them, and then the leaves and flowers come back in the spring. Do you ever eat the Aronia berries? I tried some for the first time recently in a jam, which was quite tasty. Apparently they're healthful, too. Merry Christmas, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your red berries! I have no red berries, so I may need to come snip some of yours ; )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you've got a ton! My heavenly bamboo never gets berries. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. You do have a lot of berries in your garden. The cotoneaster is just loaded. They are so pretty and the birds will enjoy them this winter.
    Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here! Your comments feed my soul.