Monday, March 23, 2015

I'm Positively Giddy!

I'm always giddy about gardening but this year, with everything shaping up so early, I'm like a cat in a mouse factory! And of course, it doesn't hurt that there is so much pink going on. I'm not talking about pink flowers but pink other parts. Here is an example: 
Look at the luscious petioles on this Euphorbia NOID. (I think it was once a 'Blackbird' but sort of reverted. 


The weather gods have been so kind to us here in the Pacific Northwest. Typically the white-flowered lilac bush (pictured below) is in full bloom on my hubby's birthday... April 15th. But you can see here that blossoms are present. Three weeks early.

Not the best photo... but you can see the white lilacs. 
Mine is a summer garden so there aren't a lot of flowers at this point. But the foliage colors on several plants rival any flower. Here are some examples.

Look at the colors on this wire vine. (Muehlenbeckia axilaris 'Tri-Color')

These leaves are teensy-tiny, about the size of your pinkie fingernail. It took about six-thousand tries for
me to get two decent photos. Don't you love digital photography?

Sobaria sobarifolia 

Lonicera periclymenum 'Harlequin' 

Heuchera 'Green Spice' 

Persicaria 'Painter's Palette' 

Heuchera 'Midnight Rose' 

Fallopia japonica 'Variegata' 

Hypericum x moserianum 'Tri-Color' 

But I'm perfectly fine with plants that don't have any pink. For instance,
this Solomon's Seal (Polygonum sp.) looks so elegant unfolding her pure green finery. 
And finally a few spring bloomers... 
Lungwort (Pulmonaria 'Reginald Kaye') and Corydalis flexuosa 'Blackberry Wine' 

I'm excited to see the first blossoms on this new Daphne. (Daphne x rollsdorfii 'Wilhelm Stacht'
I purchased it last summer. The flowers are actually much darker than my camera captured.
They're closer to the color of the buds, on the left. I'm so happy with this plant. 

My tiny Kalmiopsis leachiana is blooming. 

Finally, my favorite Daffy is blooming right now. Narcissus 'Geranium' has the sweetest fragrance. 

20 comments:

  1. Couldn't be happier for you - but my "giddiness" vanished with the snow that's fallen all day here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't say I'm giddy yet. I'm still working on cutting back dead foliage and stems, and I'm more sore and achy than anything. But I can see you have good reason to be giddy, you have some fabulous foliage there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you describe "pink on some other parts," and then follow through with some lovely photos of pink stems and foliage. Your garden is a spring beauty. I can see why you're giddy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have realized that you'd find plants with pink stems and foliage too! They're all beautiful but I particularly like that Sobaria - it rivals any flower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's certainly a year for garden giddiness! This time of year is so special with growth so full of energy and glowing that it's vibrations are palpable. I think we get our giddiness from the plants who are so excited to be alive, growing and to have their moment in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! I just love looking at your pictures and your description of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm smiling at that image of a cat in a mouse factory Grace - it would be seventh heaven for most felines.
    I'm off to find out more about Sobaria sobarifolia and I've also noted that subtle pulmonaria/corydalis planting :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can climb on the pink bandwagon when it comes to "other parts"...any place where it is somehow less expected. But I do love the pink flowers in your garden...anything that makes you happy, dear Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy we can finally all get "giddy" again. I love that Daffy too. Everything is looking good. I'm just a little sore from working several days out on my deck garden. It seems to get a little harder dragging bags of potting soil and heavy pots around every year but I intend to keep doing it just as long as I can crawl out there. Happy Spring Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grace I am smitten with the pink parts of the foliage in your spring garden....and that Euphorbia NOID is stunning. You have outdone yourself to create such a rich foliage garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I share your giddiness...and I'm even thrilled with the rain now. Everything is bursting out with color and green green green. Your garden is stunning Grace. One of the plants you picture is Corydalis...is this the periwinkle blue flower that looks like a tiny morning glory? It's new to me and I'm in love. Do they take full sun or can they do well in my north facing garden (wet shade too.) Please let me know if I'm identifying the right plant. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gracie girl ... do you know how lucky you are ? I love all your Pink-Giddiness .. so I will be nice and not say naughty things (almost impossible for me but I still try ! haha)
    Love that daphne .. I really should try one myself .. that Blackberry Wine is gorgeous .. I have Blue Panda (I think) coming in my mail order when it is safe to be mailed here where winter is still clutching us ... but it is raining so some of this blanking snow has to melt .. right ?
    Big sigh ... yup ... just so HAPPY for YOU girl .... grumble grumble
    Joy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That final daffodil - beautiful! Your garden is looking lovely. I do the same, peer into everything for the tiny little details, it's wonderful what you find.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Let the pink begin! Everything looks incredible. I've had my eye on that sorbaria for years but I've read they're monsters that will take over the garden. How do you keep yours in bounds?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your posts so much. You always have so many things I've never even heard of. Purple corydalis!? Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel your giddiness just looking at the photos -- oh, that daphne! I always wonder how long heuchera live in other people's gardens. It's a blink of an eye in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, that daphne is going on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You do have a lot of pink tinged foliage this spring! I like the pink new growth on the Sobaria, and others with pink thrown in to the variegation. I was noticing my Eryngium was doing that too. The flowers are really bright on the Pulmonaria 'Reginald Kaye', I like the pale blue and the red centers (and calyxes?) ,

    ReplyDelete
  19. I sure can't blame you for being giddy! Spring will do that to a gal. I'm a fan of pink too, and I dearly love anything variegated. I'm not quite giddy here yet, but it's coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am more familiar with most of these plants than the flowers in your most recent post. I always enjoy seeing what's growing for you, and comparing our seasons.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here! Your comments feed my soul.