Monday, April 13, 2015

Nursery Trek: Dancing Oaks

My gal pal, Vicky came for a visit over the weekend. Also a plant geek, we decided to drive to Dancing Oaks Nursery to see what Leonard and Fred were up to. 

Well, they were busy. For an off-the-beaten-path destination, there were sure a lot of customers. 

Instead of taking a bunch of photos, I decided to use some of the ones I already have. 


If you've never been to Dancing Oaks, it's located south and east of Monmouth, Oregon.
This three-mile gravel road is the last stretch of the journey.
Up and over the ridge we go!

Once we crested the ridge it was all down hill... until we got to the flat part.
Then it was all flat ... hill... or something.
(There is no snow on Bald Mountain right now so ignore that.) 

At the gate...

Around the corner... 

To the parking area. 
Goodies galore! 





A Pulsatilla to die for.

I need to get this pink Pulmonaria

A Tiarella in bloom

Leucojum with water droplets

In the Dancing Oaks gardens, even the weeds are pretty.


There was a frog croaking during the entire time we were there. 













This photo is for you, Mindy




Several years ago, I purchased this double Silene here
but in my ignorance, I let it die. I wish I could find it for sale somewhere.
If you happen upon it, please let me know!  

The peonies aren't blooming yet but this photo, taken years ago,
shows how gorgeous they are.

Vicky and I were both tempted to purchase
Gladiolus cardinalis but declined.

Penstemon rupicolia was also tempting but I had to remind myself that
mine is mostly a place for summer bloomers. 

Another peony
Love this color

I love the scree plantings. 

How come my Nicotiana never looks this elegant?

What's not to love about this?

Time to fill the cart with plants. 

One of my wish list plants has been this ornamental rhubarb.
Rheum palmatum var. tanguiticum

I've already got the spot picked out for my newbie. 
I found several more plants too. More on those later.

Before long we were packed up and on our way back to reality.  
Have a happy gardening week! 


9 comments:

  1. Yes, that collection of Trilliums, evergreens, and Geraniums(?) is really special. I can see that grouping happening naturally, and the placement and artful display of it makes it extra nice. This garden center really looks like one I would want to peruse for hours. I noticed many pinks in your photos. ;-) Beautiful plants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I could do some serious damage there. My heart is literally pitter pattering. That Lewisia photo is stunning. And that rhubarb is amazing. I keep meaning to email you with details....some of my seeds from you are up. Eeeeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace, so cool that you and DG are posting about Dancing Oaks. I've never been to the nursery but always shop them at sales. I haven't really been to a proper oak savannah and I'm thinking a trip to Dancing Oaks will allow me to kill two birds with one stone :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. With you and Loree ganging up this week and good weather coming, DO had better be ready for an onslaught.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely worth the drive. The setting is beautiful and the plants look very well cared for. Hmmm, I seem to recall that they also sell by mail order...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks beautiful!
    Love, love, love all the pinks and purples that you show.
    Looking forward to seeing what blooms next in your garden.
    I am amazed at how much has already been blooming for you, much more than I have seen around Eugene.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you had me at the gate....and once i see all those plants I go a bit crazy...just like a kid in a candy store....love the way they landscaped and display the plants too...you don't see that much here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. and you declined Gladiolus cardinalis because why? So glad I got to see this nursery. Looks amazing in spring (oh, the pasque flower!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here! Your comments feed my soul.