Tuesday, May 26, 2015

It's Blooming!

My post this week is not just about a few of the bloomers in my garden. There is a Part Two below.

But first 
~~ Part One ~~

A new plant for me, Rehmannia elata or Chinese Foxglove.
I saw it blooming here at Sebright Gardens last summer and having it in my garden became an obsession. 

From a plant sale last year, Lychnis coronaria 'Angel's Blush'

Oenothera pallida or White Evening Primrose (and bee!)

Anemone 'Wild Swan' a newbie for me this year. I got it at Dancing Oaks.

Anemone 'Wild Swan' blooms from spring until fall!

Meadow Rue Thalictrum aquilegifolium -- such pretty fluffs. 

Mimulus and clashing Viola... oh well. 

I'm a bit in awe of  the many species of perennial Bachelor Buttons.
This one is new this year, Centaurea carnia 'Caramia'

Rosa 'Bonica'... her first bloom of 2015. 

~~ Now for Part Two ~~

Last Saturday, my gardening gal pal from Portland,  Mindy Northrup and her dear sweet mother, Donna Stanley drove down to Albany to go nursery s/hopping. Wow, did we have fun! I didn't take any photos until we got to Dancing Oaks--our final destination--and spied this fabulous Gas Plant Dictamnus albus 'Purpuresens'. And we're talking fab....u...lous...!

I've been aware of this plant for a long time but because I try to focus on summer-blooming plants as opposed to spring-bloomers, I've ignored it. But after seeing it in living color, ooh, la, la.... So, just when I thought I didn't "need" any more plants... my new obsession. Check it out. 




It's like a Gaura on steroids. 
Do you grow Gas Plant and if so, could you please share you experiences and/or tips for success? Thanks! I bought one at Dancing Oaks but it's very small and probably won't bloom for a few years. 

Lorquin's Admiral Butterfly also at Dancing Oaks. 

Finally, I have to share my gifts. Dear Mindy brought me this super healthy Begonia in this very cool, vintage pot. (She knows how I love vintage!)

This photo doesn't do it justice. It's big the leaves are perfection.
It's just getting ready to bloom.
And guess what color the flowers are. Yep. PINK!!!

And Donna, bless her heart, also gave me a plant. This Haworthia (pictured below) is affectionately called "The Grandma Porter Plant." Here's what Mindy told me about it: "That Haworthia has made the rounds. The mama plant belonged to my dad's grandma which is why we've always called it, "The Grandma Porter Plant." My mom got a piece of it a zillion years ago and I think everyone she knows has gotten a start of it given to them. I have a pot of it in my living room." 

I feel so honored to also have a piece of Grandma Porter's plant. I bet she was a great gardener. 
Haworthia: The Grandma Porter Plant
A huge major THANK YOU to Mindy and Donna! 
Mindy took photos of my garden. You can see them on Mindy's delightful and entertaining blog. Click here.

9 comments:

  1. I had a Rehmannia a few years ago from Joy Creek nursery …killed it ...some how . And the " Wild Swan ' I got from Far Reaches when we were up in Port Townsend last year, I was so excited ,because it was best perennial at Chelsea …dogs piss death !
    On a happier note I grew Lychnis' Occulata' from seed last year , it is blooming …

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for introducing us to Mindy. I just read her glowing account of your fabulous time together. Gardening buddies are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love that Gas Plant. I have never saw one growing before, only in catalogs which can sometimes not look real. LOL! Your Meadow Rue is so pretty. I started one two years ago from seeds another gardener sent to me. It has never bloomed yet. Fingers cross it may this year. Also tried to grow some of the Chinese Foxgloves from seed but that was a no grow. Now I am so sorry they did not germinate. Those are just so pretty.The Hummers will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wooo....that Anemone 'Wild Swan' is absolutely gorgeous! I am smitten. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That gas plant is gorgeous and I like the 'Angel's Blush' too...nice when you can share plants with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Anemone 'Wild Swan'. That blush on the back is gorgeous. I've been wanting Dyctamnus for years. The azalea-like flowers that turn into flammable pods, and the foliage that supposedly has a lemony scent. What does yours smell like?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That first plant is gorgeous. Well, actually they all are. I'm glad you had fun shopping and visiting with your friends. Sounds like the perfect outing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply cannot imagine that your new obsession is both stunning AND pink. :)One day I must go nursery shopping again_ you are having too much fun. Grace, it sure was wonderful seeing you several weeks ago. It was a special time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did I get so far behind!? I think I need that Chinese Foxglove in my life. As well as the white Evening Primrose. And the photos of the Gas Plant reaffirm how excited I am to own one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here! Your comments feed my soul.