Monday, September 19, 2016

Late Bloomers

This evening I spent a little time puttering in my neglected garden. My main objective was to get my Bronze Fennel and Garlic Chives deadheaded before they drop their seed. That was about all I got accomplished because by 7:30, I was losing daylight. It's been kind of disheartening, the earlier and earlier evening darkness but I tonight was comforted by the "hoot, hoot" of two owls discussing important owl business. 

Here are a few photos I managed to get before it got too dark. 

The herbaceous Hibiscus have really been pretty this year. 

Hibiscus moscheutos 'Southern Belle Disco Bell White'

Hibiscus moscheutos 'Kopper King'

Hibiscus moscheutos 'Torchy'

I'm still waiting for blooms on my Hibiscus mutabilis 'Rubrum' that I purchased from Annie's a year ago. The plant is healthy and has buds so it shouldn't be long now. The flowers will be pink, of course. 

On to the Dahlias, dahling. 

Dahlia 'Bonne Esprance'

Dahlia 'Roxy'

Dahlia NOID

Dahlia 'Miz Bee Haven'

Dahlia 'Ivanetii'

And the Clematis are starting their second bloom cycle. I recently purchased C. 'Gravetye Beauty'.

Clematis 'Gravetye Beauty'

C. 'Gravetye Beauty'

C. viticella . Madame Julia Correvon'


C. v. 'Mme. Julia Correvon'


C. v. 'Betty Corning'
 And the Hydrangeas...

H. macrophylla 'Glowing Embers'

H. paniculata 'Limelight'

Finally, I have to share this little story. Several years ago, my tallest, handsomest Crape Myrtle fell victim to a winter windstorm. Although I was sad to see it go, I replanted that area and until this year hadn't given it much thought. Earlier this year I discovered those telltale leaves and realized that it was regrowing. It grew to about four feet and now it's getting ready to bloom. 


One wide shot...



Here I'm holding plants for an area I'll be redoing as soon as I can get time. 


9 comments:

  1. As always, I have loved seeing all of the beauty growing in your gardens. I have got to add more color to mine, so I thank you for the inspiration.

    Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello I am so happy with your blog site,Thanks for sharing the article.

    Pole Saw

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought for sure you must be kidding with the name of that 'Miz Be Haven' dahlia but I Googled it and there it was. Now, I'm simply impressed that you caught a bee behaving as it ought! Your late summer garden is still floriferous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just starting to climb aboard the Clem Bandwagon. What choice have I, working at Joy Creek? Gravetye Beauty looks like a must-have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really, really need to grow some Dahlias ... obviously! I love them, I just haven't gotten around to it. Gorgeous, gorgeous garden highlights as always, Grace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just rushed out and snipped the Fennel heads ! Thank you for the reminder , I do not need any more seedlings.
    I'm still waiting for Hibiscus 'moon moth' to bloom ! I grew it from seed this year, It's not hardy , so I'll bring in doors before the frost.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a baby crepe myrtle in a pot. Not sure she'll get to plant her roots here or not. She may just have to live in pot limbo until her "someday" home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love dahlias, but I never take the time to order particular varieties. I just buy whatever ones they sell near me, and while they are always lovely, they just aren't as unique as yours. NOID is certainly on my wishlist for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that "wide shot". Great looking garden as usual. Kim planted some daffodil bulbs this week. So far that's the extent of our gardening.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here! Your comments feed my soul.