Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Before the Rains Return

It's that time of year when every sunny moment is a gift. The rains are predicted to return in earnest tomorrow which means I can kiss goodbye any notion of having my redesign projects wrapped up. But it's all a process and the older I get the easier it is to let go and go with the flow. It'll all get done eventually. It always does. And at some point in hopefully in the not too distant future, I'll have before and after photos to share!

Until then, here's what's going on...

The Digiplexis that wintered over for me is really happy--finally.
Digiplexis 'Illumination Flame'

It is Dahlia season in my garden. I wish I knew the names of them all. NOID means, No ID...

Dahlia NOID

Dahlia 'Ivanetii'

Dahlia NOID

Dahlia ... NOID

Dahlia 'Ms Beehaven'

Dahlia 'Sorbet'

Dahlia 'Sayonara'

Dahlia 'Roxy'

Dahlia NOID

Yesterday I counted fifteen blossoms on Dahlia 'Junkyard Dog'! The bees love it as much as I do.

Dahlia 'Junkyard Dog'

The Hydrangeas are looking fab.

Hydrangea paniculata 'Pinky Winky'

H. p. 'Pinky Winky'

H. p. 'Pinky Winky'

I know. I'm posting a lot of photos of one plant. I can't help it. I love it!

H. p. 'Pinky Winky'
And then there's 'Limelight'. So darn pretty!

Hydrangea paniculata 'Limelight'

I love this plant. However, the hardy Geraniums below it are coming out. A big fat leafy blob just doesn't do it for me. What do you think? 

H. p. 'Limelight' with Geranium 'Patricia'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Glowing Embers'

And then the foliage. Hydrangea 'Ruby Slippers' is new so didn't have any blossoms. But with this foliage, who needs them?

Hydrangea quercifolia 'Ruby Slippers'

Liriope muscari 'Variegata' in front of
Hydrangea serrata 'O Amacha Nishiki' and Fuchsia 'Flash'

 More goodies...

Euphorbia characias 'Dwarf'


Clematis v. 'Madame Julia Correvon'

C. v. 'Madame Julia Correvon'

Sedum sichotense

Sedum confusum 'Moonglow'

Okay, that's all for now. I hope you're enjoying your fall garden.

14 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, Grace! Love all the fall colors. Now it's time to button up the garden before the storm. Here we go....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not just the hydrangeas that look fabulous - everything does! I wish my Digiplexis had done nearly as well - it over-wintered (if what we have can even be called "winter") but it proved to be a mealy bug magnet so I've abandoned it, much as I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I managed to get a bunch of new plants in the ground in the last few days, before the big storms. I still have more, but I'm relieved I made a big dent in the pot ghetto. I'm not familiar with that Sedum sichotense, it's a pretty color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had always dismissed dahlias until I tried growing a few last year for kicks. I have a newfound respect for these long-blooming plants. You have a lot of great ones. I stopped planting a bit early today so I could take photos of the fall flowers and foliage before the wind and rain wrecked them. I still have a lot to plant, and I'll keep going in rain gear as long as it isn't pouring cats and dogs and the wind isn't too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, 'Pinky Winky' is fabulous and I know the pollinators love it, too. I don't have it here, but I've seen pollinators going crazy for it elsewhere. Actually, I like the Geraniums as a groundcover, but it depends on the setting. I agree regarding the sunny, warm days. They are definitely numbered here: first patchy frost tonight. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! WOW! WOW! Every time you post I know I am in for a real treat! I am always inspired to work in my gardens, even though, they will never look like yours.

    Thank you for sharing all the beauty that surrounds you.

    Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  7. That photo with the variegated Liriope cascading over the stones is my favorite of all these lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. every year i am tempted by Digiplexis 'Illumination Flame' and resist. in the greenhouses i worked in mildew took entire dahlia crops so i have avoided them ever since. am i being misguided and they are fine in an outdoors situation? yours are lovely. your garden is very beautiful. in southern oregon we seemed to have two perfect days of warmth between summer heat and cold fall. then the rain dumped and shredded my tender coleus. hope you and your garden come through the storm with minimal damage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos! I have hydrangea envy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Junkyard Dog has got my vote tho all Dahlias are really winners. Sedums are sorta new to me, I want Sichotense...must try and find it. The foliage on your ruby Slippers is oh so pretty. Everything is looking great !

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like your climate is a good one for dahlias, how lucky you are!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gracie girl every time I "visit" your garden I am in love with your plants .. they are so gorgeous! That bowl of sedum is my favorite ! proves good things come in small packages yet again? LOL
    I am well impressed with my first euphorbia Rainbow Ascot I think it is called .. all these years and it is the first one I have tried.
    I am so behind in doing chores and clean up .. let alone planting the bulb orders I have here .. yikes !
    Hey .. That "hot air" that floats up here from all that gas bagging will be over soon .. fingers crossed that idiot goes away with his tail between his legs and shuts the hell up ? LOL
    Thanks for your kind words Gracie .. I appreciate them.
    Take care girl !
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Grace! The foliage is as beautiful as flowers!
    Love your hydrangeas, all of them. I need to figure out what to do with mine: the branches are kissing the ground...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garden wears autumn beautifully! Oh, those dahlias...must make space for them in my garden!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here! Your comments feed my soul.