Wednesday, September 13, 2017

One Day Less

Every day is one less day of summer... This is the mantra I have been repeating every evening at twilight since early June as soon as the weather turned summery. I didn't want to waste a minute of it, knowing it would be over in a flash. 

Here we are in mid-September, already. Some people are tired and ready for the change that fall will bring. I'm not. Well, I am looking forward to soft, rain-soaked soil to dig in so I can get everything planted. But I don't want to say goodbye to sunshine and warm tempertures. Not yet. 

Here are photos of things...

Recently I picked up the Mukgenia--a generic cross between Mukdenia and Bergenia. It's a neat, leafy, low growing thing for the shade border. I was pleasantly surprised to see these unique and very pink flowers adorning it.  
Mukgenia nova 'Flame'

This poor Dahlia. It didn't die like so many others did after last winter's record cold but it didn't really live either. At least not in the ground. In June I dug it up and put it in a pot. It finally bloomed. 

A troubled Dahlia

Ditto for the Digiplexis. It survived the winter in a pot but sat around for most of the spring and early summer doing nothing. Finally it's aglow.

Digiplexis 'Illumination Flame'

I have a few Clematis blooming. Check out this newbie called 'Chameleon'. Aptly named for the way the coloration changes as the flower ages.

Clematis 'Chameleon' new

Clematis 'Chameleon' after three days

It reminds me of how the double-flowered clematis blooms change as they age. 

Clematis florida 'Alba Plena' newly blooming

Clematis florida 'Alba Plena' after several days

Below is another newbie for me this spring. I'm tempted to think the buds are prettier than the actual flower.

Clematis versicolor buds

Clematis versicolor in flower

One last interesting floral evolution is the morning glory. Check it out in the morning.
Morning Glory ~~ Ipomoea 'Pretty n Pink'  Morning

Morning Glory flower in the afternoon... as the petals age,
they lose the lavender tint and turn a warm pink
Which do you like better? Personally, I'm not much of a morning person.


I was a bit slow in cutting back my Clematis x triternata 'Rubromarginata' but in like two weeks it is blooming again! This time much lower so I can catch a whiff of the flowers without a ladder.

Clematis x triternata 'Rubromarginata'

 It's Aster time! (I'm reluctant to embrace the new name, Sym...something or other.)

Aster 'Alma Postchke'

And there are other bloomers...

Saponaria x 'Max Frei' blooming from a cutting

Nerium oleander 'Hardy Red'

I bought Persicaria 'Fat Domino' after reading all the hype about it being a showier, fat spike. I think it has lived up to that hype, compared to the species. Tell me what you think. 

Persicaria amplexicaulis 'Fat Domino'

Persicaria amplexicaulis
with Clematis 'Polish Spirit and C. 'Confetti'

Impatiens arguta such a quirky little flower

I am really impressed with this Euphorbia. I grew it from seed sown last year. It started blooming in July and has been going non-stop since. Tiny white flowers in profusion.

Euphorbia corollata

Speaking of white flowers, another Aster. This one is for my shady white garden.

Eurybia divaricata 'Eastern Star' (Aster)

Fuchsia 'Debron's Black Cherry'

The Hibiscus flowers might be the best part about late summer. So big and blousy, they're impossible to ignore. 

Hibiscus moscheutos 'Torchy'

Hibiscus moscheutos 'Turn of the Century'

Hibiscus moscheutos 'Kopper King' with burgundy leaves!

Even the smaller-flowered tree Hibiscus (Rose of Sharon) are lookers, aren't they?

Hibiscus syriacus 'Aphrodite'

I had a chance to buy more Pitcher plants recently but didn't. I'm kicking myself now. But at least I've got this one going to town among the other pond goodies.
Sarracenia and variegated Acorus

Nicotiana mutabilis and Weigela florida 'Variegata'

The heat really woke up the Crape Myrtle, another stellar late-season bloomer.

NOID Crape Myrtle (Lagerstroemia)

Hubby and I are thinking about carving a small creek in this area under the tree. There is a natural slope and I've got tons of rocks I've been collecting. I'm not thrilled about ripping out all these plants but it's almost too shady for them now anyway.


These poor Dianthus need more sun.

I could probably make some adjustments and squeeze the Dianthus into this sunny area.

Some random garden photos...



This shiny little sedum, (Sedum oreganum) is such a pleasant little plant. 

Penstemon rupicolia, the gray-leaved plant is another easy low-growing plant.

Time to deadhead the Phlox...

That's all for now. I hope you're enjoying your gardens.

Oops. I published this late last night, forgetting that I promised to make mention of the HPSO Fall PlantFest coming up this Saturday. The esteemed Sean Hogan of Cistus Nursery will be speaking about his favorite plants, followed by a plant sale. You can find all the information by clicking here.  

21 comments:

  1. Persicaria amplexicaulis 'Fat Domino' is impressive in your photo! There's so much blooming in your garden right now. I agree with you about summer days being precious and wish that the season could last but am also looking forward to the rain relieving me of some of my watering chores. Winter is certainly not my favorite season but it does some nice clean up of beds in my garden which, right now, are looking a bit chaotic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, beautiful, wonderful blooms.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for another lovely garden tour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a LOT going on in your September garden, a time when gardens here are looking more than a little sad. I'm very envious of your clematis collection and that Euphorbia is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris,I'm going to join the International Clematis Society. There is a lot of really great information on rare and interesting Clematis.

      Delete
  5. That bergenia/mukgenia hybrid is something. And you got Euphorb. corollata from seed! Such a clever girl. I've always wanted to try it but don't mess around with seed too much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a test in patience. One plant from an entire packet. I'm not a very good seed girl.

      Delete
  6. Your gardens look lovely. Where do you find all the rusty things that you use? I've been looking but not finding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been searching and scrounging for 20 years. If you can find a junkyard nearby make friends with the owner. You can get stuff super cheap or free. Estate sales are also good as is the Habitat ReStore and Craigslist. But don't get discouraged. It's always hit and miss, and mostly miss. But when something good comes along, it'll make your day.

      Delete
  7. So much fun to see all this. Glad you found the time--because I know your day job keeps you hopping.

    Cheers,

    Patricia C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially this morning. I was full of brain farts. :)

      Delete
  8. Grace, I love your gardens and your flowers are stunning. My favorites are the Clematis. We moved at the end of last summer and I had several Clematis I had to leave behind. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always good to have a new project on the horizon and if your hubby can get involved, so much the better. You know you'll have FUN rearranging plants!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Grace, I can't tell you how much fun I have enjoying your garden flowers whenever you post. You grow Clematis that I've never seen...and have far better luck with them than I do. Wish I could share dahlia stories and pics, mine are FINALLY a knock-out, but it seems to take longer this year. (maybe because we lost so many in the harsh winter.) Cheers and big happiness to you in the coming Autumn! Let's hope it's a long and sweet season - we deserve it! The heat waves this summer were tough weren't they...Love, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  11. My 'Fat's domino' had to be cut back with all the HEAT ! It's making a comeback !

    ReplyDelete
  12. So nice to see your garden, Grace! I'm not really doing any gardening right now, maybe next year. We did purchase more daffodil bulbs for this fall. Your garden looks as glorious as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never seen 'Debron's Black Cherry' Fuchsia before--that's really interesting. I'm with you regarding the end of summer. I don't like to see it end, either. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. It never ceases to amaze me just how many unique plants that you collect. However do you keep them all straight? And wherever do you plant them all? Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here! Your comments feed my soul.