Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Weekends Only

IT'S OFFICIALLY WEEKENDS ONLY in the garden and I hate it. It's barely light when I leave in the morning and dark when I get home. People don't understand why I don't want to do anything on the weekends. They don't realize that I have to appease my withdrawal symptoms, sate my curiosity, get my hands dirty. Play, play, play in the garden. That's all I want to do on the weekends! 

The lure to the garden is also fueled by this temporary lag in rainfall. Yes, there is sunshine and birdsong and falling leaves and a few lone flowers just waiting for me to notice them. Why would I want to be anywhere else, I ask you. 

Nandina berries are ready for Christmas

The winter berries are plump and polished and wooing the birds and me with my camera. 
The Aronia is looking mighty nice too. The robins will get those berries soon.
I took these Aronia photos a few weeks ago. The leaves are completely gone now but of course I can't take a photo when it's dark.
Such a pretty plant
Cotoneaster lacteus is also full of berries
The birds don't care for these berries so they'll last until spring
When they drop, they make a royal mess all over the place. 

Choisya ternata is in full bloom. 

In summer I basically ignore this plant. Its time to shine is now!

Check out the fresh foliage on Acanthus mollis, unscathed by the cold weather.

Dwarf Nandina dons her winter finery. 

Abelia x grandiflora is still looking fab. Don't you love those rosy bracts?

Even a few lingering flowers

They didn't get the memo announcing winter. 

There you have it. I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. You know where I'll be.

13 comments:

  1. Lovely photos of red berries. They are very intens.
    Good evening
    JetteMajken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you've escaped the frost, my garden looks like a bomb site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Aronia foliage...so vibrant! Getting out of work in the dark is the one thing I really dislike about winter...I run around like crazy on the weekends trying to get enough photos for blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have much to lure you into your garden, even at this late date. I've been wanting more berries. That Aronia looks like just the ticket.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm planning to spend the weekend in the garden too, cleaning up and cutting back. Yours looks wonderful, such vibrant colors. Hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Grace, Your winter is milder than ours. You sure have some nice colors going on! I'd want to spend my weekends there, too.

    Thanks for your comment on my last post. Yes, I'm curious to know how many seeds will be eaten by the critters, and how many will end up sprouting.

    You have a great Thanksgiving, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well if my yard looked like your photos do right now, I'd want to be out there, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the winter berries you have in your garden! The dwarf Nandia puts on such a colorful show this time of year. I hope you get to enjoy some of the holiday weekend in the garden. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also hate this weekends only time of year! Oh well, spring is not that far away. Love all of your berry pictures - the cotoneaster is wonderful and I'm glad to see how full of berries it is. I just bought one and thought that it only looked that way because of some nursery magic. 48

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love those red berries...
    Are they anyway edible?

    Have a nice warm lovely Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have spectacular blooms and colourful berries - such nice eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had no idea Choisya bloomed at this time of year. I've loved its foliage for years but now I must find a place for it in my garden! All your berries are so lovely. They're one of my consolations for the short, cold days as well. Your photos are wonderful, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have nice fall till now, Grace, you 're lucky to see the garden in such colorful time! I love Aronia and its leaves but the berries fell down now and the birds didn't eat them this fall.
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here! Your comments feed my soul.