Thursday, April 26, 2018

Summer in April

I started this post a few weeks ago but was circumvented by some sort of virus or a bad case of hay fever. Whatever it was and is, it has (and is) kicking my butt and rendering me a lazy blogger, among other things. So the first photos are from that earlier attempt.

Clematis alpina 'Constance'

Clematis macropetala 'Markham's Pink'

A blurry bumblebee!

Ligularia 'Garden Confetti'

Ornamental Rhubarb (Rheum palmatum var. tanguiticum)

I was heartened to finally see the resident swallows return to their summer home. I was worried by their late arrival.

One of the swallows

The chickadees are also fun to watch.

Chickadee bath time

Several months ago, on her way to Portland,  Willow Murawski stopped by and gave me this really cool vintage sewing machine to display in my garden. Right now its sitting beneath the lacy white flowers of the Spirea. Thank you Willow!

Circa 1923 Singer Red Eye Treadle sewing machine

Okay, now on to today's post:

It's been unseasonably warm the past week or two. It has helped wake up the garden. 

Last spring I found a variegated Glechoma and fell in love with it. Usually the leaves are a gray-green with white edges. Not this baby! Check out the spotted green and white variegation! Eventually the entire plant went rogue and I was a happy camper.  Just now I did a search and discovered that my plant tag was incorrect in stating that it was Glechoma hederacea 'Variegata'. It's actually G. h. 'Dappled Light'.

Glechoma hederacea 'Dappled Light' last year 

I was very careful to keep it safe from winter's cold and this spring, it's rewarding me with these elegant little flowers. Yes. It's the small things.
 
The sweet little flowers of Glechoma hederacea 'Dappled Light'

The Penstemon rupicola is in full bloom. I love it so much.

Pink flowered Penstemon rupicola with Helianthemum nummularium 'Ben Ledi'
 Isn't it gorgeous? And to think that it's native to the Cascade Mountains.

Penstemon rupicola

Penstemon rupicola

My good friend Gail Barnard shared a piece of this hardy Geranium earlier this spring. It has grown and now it's blooming. I didn't really want it for the flowers. It's the variegated foliage that makes me happy.

Geranium phaeum 'Margaret Wilson'

Geranium phaeum 'Margaret Wilson'

Clematis 'Asao' is always the first large flowered hybrid to bloom in my garden. Of course, it's pink!

Clematis 'Asao'

Speaking of pink, another native, Pink Pussy Toes is in full bloom right now. Such a little charmer.

Pink Pussy Toes (Antennaria dioica)

Pink Pussy Toes (Antennaria dioica)

Last year I decided I had to have an Enkianthus. This is the first time it's bloomed for me. I'm not disappointed. 

Enkianthus campanulatus 'Showy Lanters'

And now for some wide shots:

Silene robotti


River rock that I'll place in the garden after I get the plants situated and the mulch down and yada, yada.

A new area ready to be planted. 

Too much fence showing here again. Must remedy this.






There you have it. So much to do and loving it.
How about you?

18 comments:

  1. Not feeling well completely takes the stuffing out of me too. Last summer with all the wildfires my asthma had me sidelined and I did little gardening and very little blogging. Hope you feel better soon. Your garden looks wonderful! I'm getting plenty done this week, I like the dry weather but I'd prefer the temperatures be a little cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May you soon be all well! I've got some lingering bug also, slowly going away.

    As always I love and am inspired by your gardens and your beautiful flowers and foliage. Makes me itch to get out into my own gardens.

    Happy Spring dear Grace ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too many good things to mention!!! You have so many fun things blooming now. That penstemon reminded me of a Christmas cactus,the way it's covered in flowers. It's all so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The return of the swallows made me happy, too. They're such a joy to watch. I hope whatever is bogging you down passes so you can enjoy spring to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never realized before how much of a "rock garden" you've got going, with the antennaria and sedum carpets, penstemon -- love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many things happening all at once! I love the pink pussytoes, I have many of those and the Penstemon rupicola. LOVE the native penstemons. Oh, and the variegated geranium - I got that last year at work. Isn't the foliage cool? Great things happening in your garden, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So groovy, Gracie. I love your patchwork paths. I might have to copy some of that. Cheers, Darling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo! Penstemon rupicola! Love that plant, the first native Penstemon I learned. And that Pink Pussy Toes is fantastic! Both of the above need really good drainage (as in: gravel in soil), is that correct? [Quick note--ignore if I got it wrong--the Enkianthus may be 'Showy Lanterns'?] Thank you for sharing your April stars. Very best wishes for feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the pussy toes! I tried growing it a couple of years ago but it fried here. Pretty as your garden is looking, it concerns me to hear that your weather is also summer-like - a short spring and a long, hot summer has become the norm here and I hope the weather in the PNW doesn't go the same direction. I also hope the pollen blows away and leaves you to enjoy your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clematis Constance jumped straight to my wish list! What a beauty! Penstemon rupicola was next to follow! I always get some plant names from your post, Grace!
    You have so many blooms already!
    Hope you feel better! This year's pollen is awful, my eyes are itchy and nose is stuffed, my driveway and garden furniture are yellow. Hopefully, it'll be gone soon.
    Thank you for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful as always. Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lucky you are to have summer weather! We’ve had such a chilly spring here, yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Clematis flowers are really lovely, Grace. I always enjoy visiting your blog and your garden because I can imagine how fun it would be to see all the little plants in the nooks and crannies here and there. Your pathways are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love virtually meandering through your gardens. So many lovelies to see. I really need a penstemon rupecola. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Grace I love seeing your garden art throughout the garden with all those amazing bright blooms! Hope you are feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such beautiful purple flowers. We just bought a house last July and I'm planting all purple flowers in the front yard - the house is gray and I love the subtle contrast.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here! Your comments feed my soul.