Thursday, June 20, 2019

Clematis, Geranium and a Few More

I have an incurable affection for Clematis, specifically the small-flowered varieties. Early summer is when they begin showing off their blossoms so I thought I'd devote most of this post to the ones blooming right now in my garden. 

Clematis viticella 'Confetti'

The first blossoms on Clematis viticella 'Kermesina'

Clematis viticella 'Palette'

Clematis sp. nova

Clematis sp. nova

Clematis victicella 'Madame Julia Correvon'

Clematis viticella 'Alba Luxurians'

Clematis crispa

Clematis viticella 'Wonderful'

Clematis integrifolia 'Alionushka' clashing with Rosa mutabilis

Clematis texensis 'Haizawa'

Clematis viticella 'Princess Diana'

Clematis viticella 'Princess Diana'

Clematis texensis 'Etoile Rose'

The first blossoms on Clematis integrifolia 'Rosalyn'

Clematis integrifolia 'Rosalyn'

Clematis integrifolia 'Rosalyn'


Clematis viticella 'Pagoda'


Clematis viticella 'Pagoda'

Clematis integrifolia 'Inspiration'
 
Clematis florida sieboldii

The first blossoms of Clematis viticella 'Purpurea Plena Elegans' with C. v. 'Palette'

Clematis viticella 'Venosa Violacea'


I also have a fascination with hardy fuchsias and hardy geraniums. My fuchsias aren't quite there yet but here are a few of my newer geraniums.

Geranium x oxonianum 'Laura Skelton'

Geranium pratense 'Double Jewel'
 
Geranium himalayense 'Plenum'
 
Geranium riversleaianum 'Russell Prichard'

Geranium cinereum 'Jolly Jewel Night'

Geranium nodosum 'Whitleaf'

Actually 'Orion' (below) is a five year old plant that blooms once in spring. When the flowers are finished, I'll cut it back and it will produce a much smaller, fresh mound of leaves that look great until fall. This mound is easily five feet across and four and a half feet tall. It might be time to divide it.


Geranium 'Orion'

In other news...

NOID Water lily Flower

NOID Water lily flower
Thunbergia alata 'Rose Sensation'

Lychnis chalcedonica 'Pink'

Betilla ochracea 'Chinese Butterfly'

Agastache 'Bolero'

And now, the wide shots...






Philadelphus 'Belle Etoile'







That's all for now. I hope you're all enjoying your gardens as much as I am enjoying mine.

8 comments:

  1. I'd love to see your garden some day, Grace - it's packed with beauties! I'm impressed by your clematis and geranium collections, both featuring varieties I've never even heard of. I'm working myself up to investing in another clematis or 2. One winter of great rain creates the delusion, usually temporary, that I can grow anything I'd like...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks wonderful. You have some excellent Clematis. 'Venosa Violacea' is a favorite with that dramatic white/purple contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden looks phenomenal. I really like clematis because they have large flowers.
    Greetings :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I tried to grow clems it was the dark ones like Mme Julie Correvon, but 'Pagoda' and 'Palette' are really pulling me in of the many excellent ones you grow. And your penstemons look fab too -- well, it's crazy to single anything out because it all looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful collection of clematis. I have two in my garden (both climbers), but I don't really have enough moisture in my soil to keep them happy. But I have become smitten with a small-flowered herbaceous clematis that I saw growing at the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens. Apparently, it is hardy to zone 4 and likes sandy soil and rock gardens. It is Clematis ochroleuca (curleyheads), which gets small white bell-shaped flowers in late spring/early summer, but which is really grown for its seed heads, which look like sculptures made of copper wire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! All I can think is 'Flower Power'. Your garden is fabulous, and you have so many, many fabulous Clematis. That little nova one tugged at my heartstrings, for sure. Gorgeous! My C. sieboldii went bonkers this year, and I'm still enjoying quite a large number of flowers from it. It's been my best one this year, amidst lots of botched transitions. Hope most of them recover next year...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here! Your comments feed my soul.