Monday, May 11, 2015

A Long String of Summer-Like Days

It's Monday and cloudy after many sunny days. A little rain is freshening things up nicely--the best, most friendly kind of weather. 

I feel badly for all of you in tornado-prone areas. Many are being battered with violent weather of one kind or another. Hopefully things will improve soon. 

The garden is looking really nice right now. A few of the roses have begun blooming. 

Rosa 'William Baffin'

Rosa 'Jeanne LaJoie' 

Rosa 'Rhapsody in Blue' with Phlox pilosa

And a few of the hardy Geraniums are beginning to bloom as well.

Geranium endresii 'Wargrave Pink'  
Geranium x cantabrigiense 'Crystal Rose'

Geranium x cantabrigiense 'Karmina' 

Geranium 'Orion' 

And more random blooms:

Pink-blooming California poppy (Eschscholzia californica

Dianthus sp.

Can you guess what these are? 

They're the flowers under the leaves of this Podophyllum. Pretty cool, huh? 

Progeny of Silene robotii 'Roly's Favorite'

My sister came to visit last week and gifted me with this charming, pink Celosia.
I love it!

Finally, my Rodgersia 'Bronze Peacock' finally decided to wake up and join the garden party.

 And now a few photos of the garden...

'Fall Gold' Raspberries are alive and blooming in the raised bed. 

Stipa gigantea on the right with a bowl of rocks waiting for placement. 








There used to be a Vine maple growing here but sadly, it died.



The "Nursery" where baby plants are nurtured until I either give them away or plant them. 

Compost bins way..... back there.

Sedum oreganum

A few good plants

Last Friday I ventured to Eugene to visit Diana and Heather, two fabulous gardeners and terrific people.
While Diana supplied me with two huge tomato plants and a few other plants,
Heather gave me this. I love my friends.

15 comments:

  1. Oh, that Scrabble gift at the end is sweet! I love the way you have all your plants arranged in raised beds and containers and trellises. It looks like a magical garden. We've had a touch of a cool reprive here just north of Chicago. It's OK, though, because the light rain and cooler temps are holding the blooms a little longer. So, the Lilacs and Crabapples and Tulips are blooming at the same time. It's gorgeous. This time of year is such a blessing, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your gravel paths flow into such a smorgasboard of plants, so lovely. I like you herbal knot garden, the plants look so happy. I love hardy geraniums too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's so much to love in your garden, Grace! The toolbox with the Sedum is great, as it that Podyphyllum. You even have a hot pink California poppy, something I don't think I've ever seen (and I'm a life-long California resident)! The Scrabble piece is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is looking so wonderful. Thanks for sharing the "big pictures" so we can get an idea of how it fits together..
    Your roses are beautiful.
    I really like how you've worked in so many found objects.
    Do you ever have an open garden or participate in tours? If you do, I would sure like to know when.
    I am looking forward to the Eugene Symphony Garden Tour next month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again what a lovely visit to your beauteous, wonderful gardens. A real visual treat! You inspire me to get out and work in my own gardens.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Grace, your garden is looking amazing! Love your nursery table! I must find a better and more permanent place for my pot ghetto. On the other hand I could just stop buying plants until everything is planted (Okay, it was hard to say that with a straight face.) Your scrabble gift is wonderful as is that glorious podophyllum. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your knot garden has filled in so well! Everything is looking fabulous! I am loving this rain, as it is helping with the acclimation of the treasures from your garden, into mine! Thank you again, my dear friend! By the way, I saw a woman buying one of those hardy orchids at the Hardy Plant Sale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bronze Peacock always arrives at the party fashionably late...just about the time I'm trying to put something else in his spot. Your garden always looks so inviting. The new bits look like they've been there forever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A pink blooming California poppy! I've never seen such a thing...truly didn't know they existed and I'm from CA. Don't you love the sweetness of Dianthus for a cottage garden look? Everything looks terrific Grace. I also love that rose "Rhapsody in Blue". Stunning. I'm getting out in my garden to the extent I can. Be well! Susie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your beautiful garden looks so warm and inviting as always. I love that pink celosia...I planted a variety of colors this year but they are not nearly that size yet. Love the Scrabble "Grace" too. Those areas with the concrete and green mixed are fabulous. Our spring in South Texas has been much rainier and cooler than usual and me and my plants are loving it while it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That centranthus is amazing!! I'm hoping mine do well this summer now that I've finally figured out how to grow them here. Everything looks incredible, as usual! Love all your funky planters. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love. Love. Love your flowers! We are finally seeing some color around here! Yeah!!!
    I have a new blog and have posted some pictures from our yard. It is finally starting to wake up.
    Gardensandcamera.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my how beautiful is that Rhapsody in Blue rose with the phlox. Great pairing Grace.I have never saw a Podophyllum plant. How beautifully different. Great foliage. The sedum in the tool box is so sweet. I love junk gardening! Everything seems to be growing so fast this spring. I fear some of my beds are turning into mini jungles. LOL! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your name in scrabble tiles; nice! Your garden is looking fantastic! We thought summer had shown up early here but spring is back in full swing and it's fabulous; lots of rain for us in the desert!

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO many great photos of eye candy. I especially love the rose and phlox blooming together.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here! Your comments feed my soul.