Wednesday, February 13, 2019

I Didn't Shiver Today!

For the first time in a week, I didn't shiver when I went outside today. I got some photos during one of those shiver sessions: 

There was snow!





Not the kind of deep snow that fell up north but enough to remind us that it's still winter.



My courtyard fountain is apparently the coldest of all my water features. Here it is right before things started to warm up.
 


Weather wuss that I am, that is all the photos I took of the snow.

I don't think the low temperature dropped below 28 degrees so my plants did just fine, even the tenders I keep on my covered patio. I put a blanket over some of them, and also my Melianthus. It is still a bit bent out of shape but alive. 

Melianthus major

On the aforementioned covered patio, Fuchsia 'Tricolor' is blooming. This is a baffling plant. It didn't bloom at all during the summer months and just a few in the fall. I don't mind though. Winter bloomers are very special.

 

Fuchsia 'Tricolor'
I'm always surprised how early the Grass Widow (Olsynium douglasii) sends up its tiny blades.

Grass Widow (Olsynium douglasii)


There are plants that would be blooming now if it hadn't been for that cold snap. For instance my new Prunus mume 'Kobai' (not pictured). And of course Daphne odora. 

Daphne odora

And this Rosemary in my front yard. See all those buds? And the sweet little friend? I noticed not one but two bright red lady beetles sleeping on those fragrant stems.  

Rosemarianus officinalis and friend

 And we can't forget our little Dougie-the-birdseed-stealer. (Douglas Squirrel)




This duo are regular visitors to my front yard. They've come to expect the apples we toss to them. On this visit I had my camera handy. (All of those brown balls are from my Sweet Gum trees.)



That about does it for this go around. Spring is not far off now and I'm SO ready! 
Thanks for visiting.

5 comments:

  1. I love seeing the deer. I'm glad to hear that your winter experience is more tolerable than that of others in the PNW. It may make you laugh to know that people in my area of SoCal (myself included!) are currently complaining mightily about daytime temperatures in the 50s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat to see these snowy pictures of your gardens. Glad your wonderful plants survived and how amazing to see the deer.

    Have a lovely Valentine's Day ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a pretty cold snap but glad that it's over for you. The deer are adorable. Do they do much damage to your garden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's over for you Washingtonians too! My backyard is fenced to keep the deer out. I try to grow only deer resistant plants in the front.

      Delete
  4. Yes, winter blooms are very special, indeed! You are fortunate to have some. I don't enjoy winter photography, so I'm probably more of a wuss than you are. LOL. Beautiful photos, Grace!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here! Your comments feed my soul.