Thursday, April 11, 2019

April Showers

April has been super rainy in these parts. Record rainfall last weekend has brought all kinds of havoc with flooding in Corvallis.



My middle daughter and I walked around yesterday to get a glimpse of this historic event. Apparently in 1996, the water rose to about this same level. And apparently they didn't do enough to fix the high water issues. 



The only upside to all this water is that once it recedes it should expose some very pretty rocks.  And I've got some new boots for wading. More on that in a minute. But first, despite the rain, the plants are doing their spring thing.


My favorite Narcissus -- 'Geranium' ... so fragrant!


Ribes sanguineum 'Pulsborough Scarlet'

Clematis alpina 'Constance' is just starting to bloom

Last fall at the local nursery I picked up the below Clematis for $3.00. The label said C. 'Markham's Pink' which it clearly is not. But that's okay because I already have Markham anyway. (I couldn't pass up a bargain.) But what is the bargain's real identity? Hmm...

Mystery alpina Clematis

The Polygala are late to bloom this year. At least the yellow one is. It's kind of nice to see them bloom at the same time. And the early bumblebees (not pictured) love the flowers too. 

Polygala chamaebuxus and P. c. 'Kaminski' (the purple one)
 

Lathyrus vernus 'Albo Roseus' under a scattering of spent Star Magnolia petals

 And right beside the Lathyrus is the Pulsatilla.

Pulsatilla vulgaris 'Red Bells'

Pulsatilla vulgaris 

A recent nursery visit and this Anisodontea just flew into my cart. This time I'm going to make a serious effort to winter it over successfully. 

Anisodentea x 'Tara's Pink'

I got this Butterfly Iris last fall from Pat at Secret Garden Growers. I still don't have it planted in the garden but it's blooming anyway.

Butterfly Iris ~ Iris x Nada

In the garden we've got some happy plants too. I'm really thankful for all of the new growth on this Daphne bholua.   

Daphne bholua

The burgundy foliage on the ornamental rhubarb is always so cool.

Rheum palmatum var. tanguiticum
 
Syneilesis palmata

Fritillaria meleagris in a sea of Oxalis oregana

 And now for some wide garden shots--the good and not so good.











If you look closely, you'll see a sapsucker in the neighbor's arborvitae. They seem to be nesting somewhere nearby because they're regular visitors now.



The aforementioned boots, remember? Well, I got an email from Emily at The Original Muck Book Company inviting me to sample a pair of boots of my choice. How cool is that? I thought the Women's Muckster II Clogs would be perfect for working in the garden, especially since the ones I've been using are toast. Aren't these perty?



Yes. I wore them out in the rain before taking these photos. (Wink). They felt great. Kind of springy and cushy and warm!



Emily was apparently feeling very generous because she also included the Women's Muckster II Mid!
I will be using these to wade in the rivers and creeks during my rock hounding adventures.






Thank you Emily. If you're looking for footwear, check out The Original Muck Boot Company. They have women's, men's and children's quality footwear.

Thanks for visiting. I hope you're getting spring weather in your neck of the woods.

3 comments:

  1. I love your new clematis and you certainly can't beat that price. I hope those April showers bring lots and lots of May flowers! It looks as though you're already off to a good start. Despite the colder and rainier winter we had this year, our Spring is already up to a roaring start - in fact, I can already feel Summer's breath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully. Your garden is magical. The shoes are cool. I hope that the water will fall. Greetings :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracie could you mention to Emily that sending me some of these would do their company a world of good in Canada ? LOL ... I would so love some of these !!LOL
    I won't go on and on about how jealous I am of your advancement in the garden when we are barley trudging out of winter here still .. what the heck, YES !! I will say I am JEALOUS !!!! hahahaha ... all of it is looking gorgeous and kudos on that clematis girl .. it is a beautiful blue beauty !
    Now mention me to that muck company OK ?? nudge nudge wink wink ! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here! Your comments feed my soul.