Thursday, September 20, 2018

The Begining of Fall

Summer officially ends in a few days but we've already gone from a prolonged heat wave to cooler than average temperatures that feel very fall-like.  Considering that summer started early, I guess it's only fair that fall should too. Fortunately the garden is still happy. I'm loving all of the late and repeat bloomers. 

Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate is coming into its own right now. The plants reseed themselves and if I'm diligent with the slug bait, the tiny seedlings grow and flourish and repeat the cycle. That is, if they're not eaten by a hungry bird which I witnessed this morning but didn't get a photo of.


Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate

Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate
Most of my Echinacea are done but this little flower popped open a few days ago. The cooler temps mean richer hued petals.

Echinacea tennessensis 'Rocky Top Hybrids'

 All of the hardy fuchsias are at their beautiful best right now. The hummers are fighting over them.
Fuchsia 'Santa Cruz'

There are a few repeat bloomers in the Clematis department. In the case of 'Princess Diana' the intermission was very short. She's a prolific and boisterous gal. 

Clematis 'Princess Diana'

And because of her happy ways, once she goes dormant, I will be moving her.

Clematis 'Princess Diana'

Here's a new, unnamed Clematis. It looks like it has some crispa parentage and perhaps a cousin or sibling of C. versicolor. No matter the name. I love it.



Here's another newbie. I've never met a small-flowered Clematis I didn't love.

 And one more. Don't you love that coloring?



Japanese Anemone is the quintessential fall flower. I dug out all of these 'Prince Heinrich' a few years ago. But I missed a few and now I'm glad I did.

Anemone japonica 'Prinz Heinrich'

And, of course, no fall garden would be complete without Aster (or whatever we're supposed to call them now). My favorite of the clan is vibrant pink 'Alma Potschke'. 

Aster novae-angliae 'Alma Potschke'




I'm thrilled to pieces with how well my new Cirsium has done this year. And this bumblebee seems to be too.

Cirsium rivulare 'Atropurpeum'


Begonia grandis

Rehmannia elata (Chinese Foxglove)

This hybrid Mimulus comes from Annie's Annuals & Perennials. I'm going to protect it this winter even though it's purported to be hardy down to Zone 7. Its flowers have been nonstop since I purchased the plant last spring.

Mimulus x aurantiacus 'Cherry'

I am hoping my new Correa will bloom this winter like it's supposed to do. It's had a few bells all summer and now it's loaded with them. What a sweet plant.

Correa 'Dusky Bells'

I've already picked a bunch of hydrangea stems for drying. I still need to get some 'Limelight' ones but I want them to get as pink as they want first. 

Hydrangea paniculata 'Limelight'





I think the 'Glowing Embers' blossoms are ready.

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Glowing Embers'

And now for some wide shots.









Thanks for visiting.

10 comments:

  1. Your garden is looking spectacular dressed in party attire for the end of summer soirée! Fall did arrive suddenly and early this year but I'm hoping for a nice indian summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I'm a big fan of the little bell-shaped Clems... I have a tray of C. crispa seeds ready for stratification, more for fun than for anything else. We'll see if they do anything next year, or if (which is likely) I messed up on the watering this hot, dry summer, and killed them all. Alma Poetschke is a beauty, and I'm really intrigued with the Correa. Didn't know winter was their prime time!
    ~ Anna K

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved each and every plant in your end-of-summer review. As my own Clematis terniflora finally bloomed robustly I'm now wondering if a should try another small-flowered variety but I don't expect my climate is nearly as hospitable as yours. As to your fuchsias, all I can do is sigh - mine look scrawny by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden grows healthy and strong, as always. I'll have to check into 'Princess Diana.' I won't be able to overwinter it here in our cold climate, but I always bring in some Clematises and overwinter them in the sunroom. It's a little cooler in there, so it's kind of like a mild winter for them. They go a little dormant, and then come back. Your Dahlias look full and healthy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gracie, your garden always knocks me out! The PINKS you have going on are stunning. I love the Asters, the Fuchsias, the Clematis...wow. My hydrangeas all look like yours, ready for drying and becoming very beautiful. Grace, I have to ask you: since we lost our beautiful dog, Fly, after nearly 15 years, we have RABBITS. They are out of control even as we do everything we can (and spare no expense) to manage them. What are you doing? Or have you dogged that bullet? Garden people everywhere tell me they have seen a big increase in rabbits...short of cordoning off large sections of Perennial bed during the growing phase, what do you recommend? I don't have any of my huge Dinner-Plate dahlias this year, because the rabbits are eating at the base thereby damaging the growth! I'm NOT a happy camper even as we had the biggest and most productive vegetable garden we've ever had this year (We just kept at it, every day...Susie in Portland (PS. They have even eaten my big field of Rudbeckia and Echinacea out back, now that is just too much.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jack SuzenSeptember 24, 2018 at 12:33 AM
    Incredibly beautiful pictures! It's really an absolute delight to watch your clicks. Some are breathtaking. Einstein said Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. I understand now this quote.

    Thanks!
    hikes near Portland

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, i adore that purple tipped bell flower clematis. i wonder how a very badly shaken clematis can survive. it was growing in an urn more narrow at the top than the bottom and very thick with roots. two of us mangling it finally got it out of the pot. clematis 'rebecca' hope you love your new home. i wish i had not killed my 'princess diana' in one of my worse blunders with a clematis ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Much to admire but the Cirsium and Correa have stirred lust in my heart.
    rickii

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous fall show! And huge congrats on making that cirsium happy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garden looks marvelous and you have such beautiful pictures. My favourite is the Cirsium rivulare 'Atropurpeum.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here! Your comments feed my soul.